Jet Li has earned a reputation as one of the best actors in both Chinese cinema and Hollywood. In addition, he is one of the most renowned martial artists of his generation. After winning the title of National Wushu Men’s All-Around Champion five times, Li broke into the film industry with the hit film Shaolin Temple. Through his successful career as an actor and martial artist, Li has amassed a fortune of a whopping $250 million. Find out more Jet Li Net Worth in 2023 Biography, Career, Best Movies, Facts etc. in this article.
Jet Li 2023 net worth
|Profession||Actor, martial artist, director|
|Net Worth (2023)||$250 million (estimated)|
Jet Li’s personal biography
Jet Li was born on April 26, 1963 in Beijing, China to Zhang Fenglan and Li Qingquan. He has two older sisters and one older brother. Her father died when Li was only two years old, and the family fell into poverty thereafter. Little Li has a natural talent for wushu, which surfaced during a summer school. He joined the Beijing Wushu team at a young age and as a member of the team put on an incredible martial arts performance at the All China Games. He later received help from renowned trainers Li Junfeng and Wu Bin to improve his martial arts. In addition, Wu Bin even bought Li’s family groceries to keep Li’s protein intake up. As a young boy, Li competed against adults and won the National Contest Championship at the age of 18, retiring from competitive wushu.
In 1987, Li married actress Huang Qiuyan, who was a member of his Beijing Wushu team. Qiuyan is known for films such as Kids from Shaolin, The Tale of a Heroine, and Martial Arts of Shaolin. The couple had two daughters together but divorced in 1990 after three years of marriage. In 1999 he married actress Nina Li Chi and they have two daughters together.
|Full name||Li Lianjie|
|Profession||Actor, martial artist, director, film producer|
|active years||1982 – today|
|Old||Born April 26, 1963|
|Place of birth||Beijing, China|
|spouse||Nina Li Chi (1999–present) Huang Qiuyan (1987–1990)|
|nationality||Singapore (2009 – present) United States (2003 – 2009) China (1963 – 2003)|
|Parents||Zhang Fenglan (mother) Li Qingquan (father)|
Jet Li’s career
Jet Li’s fame as a wushu legend brought him film roles in Hong Kong and later in Hollywood. Li made his film debut in the 1982 film Shaolin Temple. The film was a huge hit and broke box office records in China, grossing US$85,376,199. The sequel to the 1984 film Kids From Shaolin became the top-grossing film of the year in China. Li made his international film debut in 1998 in Lethal Weapon 4. This film was also a box office success, and Li’s performance in the film was highly acclaimed.
Li appeared in the epic martial arts film Hero (2002), which was not only a commercial and critical success, but also became the highest-grossing film in Chinese cinema history at the time. That same year, Li received the Visionary Award from East West Players, the oldest Asian American theater in the United States. In 2006, the martial arts epic Fearless was released worldwide, which turned out to be Li’s last wushu epic. Li’s other modest hits include “Kiss of the Dragon”, “The One”, “Unleashed” and “Cradle 2 the Grave”. ”, “The Expendables”, “Mulan”, “The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor”, etc. Today he is one of the richest actors in the world.
Film direction and production
As a director, Li worked on the film Born to Defense. Li also acted as a producer for films like Tai Chi Master, Last Hero in China, Fist of Legend, The New Legend of Shaolin, Unleashed, Fearless, etc. So he was also a producer and Co-author of the film “The Kiss of the Dragon”.
The Chinese Wushu Association named Li “Wushu Image Ambassador” at the 2007 Wushu World Championships in Beijing. In 2009, Li started her own Wuji fitness program, which used martial arts, yoga, and Pilates. Adidas even launched a dedicated clothing line for the program, making clothes with the initials “JL”. Together with billionaire businessman Jack Ma, Li founded the Taiji Zen Online Academy in 2011, which combined the martial art of Taijiquan with practices such as meditation.
philanthropy and charity work
Since January 2006, Li has served as a philanthropic ambassador for the Chinese Red Cross. To promote mental health, Li even donated $62,500 from the box office collection of his film Fearless to the Red Cross Psychological Sun Project. After Li’s near-death experience during the 2004 tsunami, he established a charitable foundation called The One Foundation, which works in partnership with the Red Cross to support international disaster relief efforts. The organization also supports mental health awareness and suicide prevention.
Top 15 Jet Li Movies
Below is the list of top movies Jet Li has been in.
- Heroes (2002)
- Fearless (2006)
- Fist of Legend (1994)
- Once Upon a Time in China II (1992)
- Once Upon a Time in China (1991)
- Tai Chi Master (1993)
- Swordsman II (1992)
- The Legend (1993)
- Unleashed (2005)
- The Warlords (2007)
- The Legend of Fong Sai-Yuk 2 (1993)
- Shaolin Temple (1982)
- Once Upon a Time in China III (1992)
- Consumables 2 (2012)
- Kiss of the Dragon (2001)
List of awards won by Jet Li
Below is the full list of awards Jet Li has received.
- 1995 Special Award of the Golden Horse Film Festival
- 2007 Hong Kong Film Critics Society Awards for Best Actor for Fearless
- 2008 Hong Kong Film Critics Society Awards for Best Actor for The Warlords.
- 2008 Shanghai Film Critics Awards for Best Actor for The Warlords.
Jet Li’s martial arts expertise
Jet Li, who started practicing wushu at a young age, also became a master of various styles of wushu and other arts. He also mastered the main weapons of wushu, namely sanjiegun (three-pronged staff), gùn (staff), dao (broadsword) and jian (straight sword). Li is an expert in the following martial arts styles:
- Chángquán (northern long-fist style)
- Fānziquán (tumbling fist)
- Baguazhang (Eight Trigram Palm)
- Taijiquan (Highest Ultimate Fist)
- Xing Yi Quan (form intention fist)
- Zui Quan (Drunken Fist)
- Ying Zhao Quan (Eagle Claw Fist)
- Tanglangquan (Fist of the Praying Mantis)
Interesting facts about Jet Li
Check out some fun facts about Jet Li below.
- To improve her English, Li studied the language with a tutor for four hours a day.
- In her spare time, Li enjoys cycling, playing badminton and table tennis, reading and meditating, and collecting rare Tibetan beads.
- When Nixon asked him to be his personal bodyguard, Li replied that he wanted to defend his billion Chinese compatriots, not just any one individual.
- Li is a practitioner of Tibetan Buddhism.
- Li was in the Maldives with her family when the 2004 tsunami hit the Indian Ocean.
- Although he acquired American citizenship, Li moved to Singapore because of the education system there.
- Li has her wax statue installed at Madame Tussauds in Hong Kong.
- His film Hero is the third highest-grossing foreign language film in the United States.
- His film Fearless is the seventh highest-grossing foreign language film of all time in the United States.
- Jet Li and Jackie Chan appeared together in the film The Forbidden Kingdom.
Jet Li on social media
frequently asked Questions
What is Jet Li’s net worth in 2023?
$250 million (approx.)
Is Jet Li better than Bruce Lee?
Nobody is better than Bruce Lee when it comes to martial arts. However, Jet Li is very close to him.
Why did Jet Li start taking fewer roles?
Although many suspected it was due to health issues, Li began taking fewer roles in films to focus on charity work.
Post by: Findy
category by: Net Worth